Facts about our City
Goals & Achievements
Goals Accomplished so far
Being on a Council is not a single person Team, but a Team of 7. Over the last 8 years on Council, I have served with some of the best leaders in the Denver Region. I could not accomplish these achievements without their support and the City Team to engage and deliver.
– We implemented a Co-Responder with our Police Department which are mental health professionals who respond with our Police when their specialty is required. First in the State!
– Our unemployment rate has been under 3% for several years now, over 1,100 jobs were added in 2017 alone.
– Implemented the Olde Town Business Improvement District to continue the vibrancy of Olde Town and the surrounding communities.
– Our annual tax revenue increases over 3% year over year.
– AAA Bond rating sustained!
– We have averaged over 700 building permits per year for the last three years.
– We implemented FOCUS – a performance based budgeting / management of our City and it’s employees. FOCUS is guided by strategic goals (“gold thread”) set forth by City Council every few years.
– Advocated and supported the police expansion of Community Stations within our neighborhoods of Lake Arbor, West Woods and Whisper Creek.
– Updating our City fleet and tools to ensure we have the effective and efficient means to do the job you expect the City to do, when we need to do it.
– Increase funding on maintaining and repairing our roads. The majority of the roads are in poor condition. Since I have been elected, we have added an additional $7+ million to our Streets Budget to try to maintain the roads we have. (In actuality, we need $16 million every year just to catch up the repair and maintain them moving forward.)
– I been appointed to several Federal and Regional committees where I successfully advocated for local control matters. We must ensure that Federal and State legislatures do not adversely impact our community, which is lead by citizens (City Council) who live EVERYDAY in the community in which they serve.
I strongly believe in servant leadership, I want to serve my community, my neighbors and my family. I want everyone to have a quality life that they expect, especially in the community they call “home”. I will continue to Focus on our Future, to ensure the betterment of Arvada, every day.
I always say, “if you are not at the dinner, you are the dinner”. This holds true when we are discussing items that impact our community at regional, state and federal levels. I will continue representing our community with integrity, passion and accountability!
Service to our Community
Board of Directors for the Arvada Vitality Alliance – AVA (Vice President)
Former Board of Directors for the Arvada Community Food Bank (Vice President)
Serving as 2010 President of Historic Olde Town Arvada (HOTA)
Former member of Arvada-Jefferson Kiwanis
Being a member of Arvada Historical Society
Graduate of the Transit Alliance Citizen’s Academy
Participant of Colorado’s Future Through Civic Engagement
Recipient of the APEX Service Excellence Award
Umpiring & coaching youth baseball
Managing youth football teams
Ralston House .5k Endurance Challenge and volunteering committee
Helping at the Santa House – a program to assist families in need during Christmas
Working with the Arvada Police Department’s Light Up the Holidays
Assisting with food drives and fund raising for the Arvada Community Food Bank
Participating in charity events to raise money for several local non-profit organizations that support Arvada citizens.
Service to our City
Arvada City Council | At-Large Councilmember, 2011 to present
Arvada City Council | Mayor Pro Tem 2015 to 2017
Denver Regional Council of Governments | Chair and Board Member, 2013 to present
Federal Communications Commission | Intergovernmental Advisory Committee Member, 2017 to present
Colorado FirstNet Governance Board | Vice Chair, 2013 to 2019
National League of Cities’ Information Technology and Communications | Vice Chair, 2013 to 2018
National League of Cities’ Hispanic Elected Local Officials Committee | Member, 2017 to present
Several City Committees:
Arvada Fire Protection District Coordinating Committee
APEX Parks and Recreation Coordination Committee
Arvada Municipal Court/Judicial Committee
Arvada Transportation Committee
Arvada Golf Advisory
Arvada Council for the Arts and Humanities
Jefferson County Schools Coordination Committee
Jefferson County Transportation Advisory and Action Committee (JEFFTAAG)
Adams County Economic Development Association